Saturday, August 24, 2019

The beginning of the lasts...

(Written just before we left but it was rambles of my thoughts and I’ve only just had time to sit down and edit it properly!)
It’s a funny period of limbo this last week, everything I do I’m wondering is this the last time I’ll do this.
Walking round the supermarket, picking things up, checking best before dates, that constant awareness of time running out in front of my eyes. Our leaving date is no longer so far in the future that i don’t really make any mental note, but the milk I grabbed yesterday had the date 31/08/19. It feels odd that we will have gone by then, we will be in the midst of yet lag, confusion, wanting to feel more relaxed and less stressed than the last 6 weeks but knowing in fact it’s still going to be hard for a good while.
A friend and I took the kids up Scolty last week for some fresh air, I wanted to just enjoy it as if it was just a normal walk but in the back of my mind I was thinking what if this is the last time I come up here. The paths up the hill are so well worn and engrained in our heads, that the kids even take a different path to adults and race us up... they always win, they opt for the shortest route and we always opt for the longer route to enjoy the peace... it’s a win win situation. (They did have 13 year old, with a phone, with them)
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is img_8860.jpg
We’ve had last birthdays in this house for a while, last sleepovers, last play dates, last dentist appointments and haircuts, last cinema trips, last bike rides, the cars have both gone, the cats have gone to their new home (I might do another post on that one) .... and one final impromptu ‘last’ drinks with Fyfe’s and Cowie’s💖
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is img_0959.jpg
The hardest of the ‘lasts’ is the hugs, being given hugs just in case we don’t see each other. I don’t want to think of these as ‘lasts’ just until next time we see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment